Tonight's NHL schedule is very light, with only 3 games on tap. It's almost like Gary Bettman believes NFL football is still a direct competitor for hockey at this time of year, but I digress… The Rangers come in to tonight's divisional matchup with a best-case scenario of making the playoffs, and an outside chance of getting home-ice advantage in the first round. More likely, they'll be opening April on the road. Currently, the Rangers are 2 points ahead of the Florida Panthers, who occupy the 9th position in the Conference, and both teams have played 76 games. The Habs are nestled between them, with a game in hand…
Here's the numbers, courtesy of TSN.ca:
- NJ is 3-2-0 vs NYR this season, winning the last 3 games
– NJ has lost 4 straight games (0-3-1) not scoring more then 2G in any of the games
– NJ is also 0-3-1 in their last 4 road games, scoring 2 or fewer goals in each game
– NYR are 1-2-1 in their last 4 games, going 2 for 23 on the PP
– NJ is 1 for 16 on the PP in their last 4 games
– NYR have the leagues 2nd worst PP (14.2%) but have the best PK (88%)
– Lundqvist has posted a 14-5-4 record, along with a 1.88 GAA and two shutouts in 23 career regular season appearances vs. New Jersey
– Brodeur is 5-4-2 on the road this season, 2.73GAA, .900sv% and 1SO
– Zherdev leads the Rangers with three goals and seven points in five games vs NJ this season
– Parise has 4G, 7A vs the NYR this season
– Antropov has 6G, 4A in 12GP with the NYR, Avery has 4G, 5A
Perhaps most eyes will be on what may or may not develop between the NHL's badboy, Sean Avery, and the NHL's fatboy, Marty Brodeur… Okay, that was cheap. Brodeur is now the winningest goaltender in NHL history, but the bad blood between the two juxtaposed posterboys will make for interesting media, and hopefully an interesting game.
I will attempt to provide the latest information from the game, which is being broadcast on TSN in Canada (sorry guys from the US, other than likely MSG, I have no idea who might be showing this game in your area).
Sit back, grab some 'corn, and keep your sticks on the ice!
About the Author
Written by Dan Rakusan
A huge Rangers (NHL), Falcons (NFL), PGA Tour and soccer fan, I have been writing semi-professionally for about 7 years now. I try to impart information with some degree of humour, and always have an opinion. PSB is another feather in my cap, and am really proud of the team assembled here, and look forward to the long-term journey PSB is embarking on in terms of establishing itself as the best sports blogging collective on the net! Look for articles such as 4-Play, Rangers blogs and PGA Tour updates, along with my NFL handicapping service!