Miami Heat

The Vick saga is a segregating one!

As I lie down in bed and listen to the Michael Vick coverage on my radio and television, I start to ponder a question that I’ve been struggling with for a while concerning the Vick situation. There’s no secret by now that Vick has signed with the Philadelphia Eagles, causing a stir that Philly fans have never seen before.

I would agree, for the most part, it has been mostly a negative response towards Vick by the “City of Brotherly Love.”  My question is, why does it seem like the majority of people who are protesting and opposed to the signing of Vick are Caucasian, while the majority of African Americans I heard speak out,   are all for his comeback.

I’m seeing a racial divide when discussing this topic, which I don’t think should be there.  I believe everyone knows regardless of race and class, that hanging dogs, electrocuting dogs, and drowning dogs is a heinous and horrific act. So why does an act so mind-boggling, have two sides separated on the topic?  I guess I’m questioning the motives of both sides.

Are Caucasians opposed to Vick because of his acts and his race; are African Americans supportive of Vick because he is black regardless of what he’s done in the past?

Being an African American, I believe that if Michael Vick goes about things the right way, he deserves a shot at redemption. But I truthfully can’t say with a straight face, that the fact that Vick is also black, doesn’t weigh in my decision. I can’t speak for the Caucasian race regarding this matter, but I believe deep soul searching needs to be done in our hearts when assessing this matter.

As a nation, when our country goes through diversity within, it’s a bad sign to see two races of people divided on a wrong or right issue. The problem isn’t the definition of what’s right or wrong, the problem is racial division and the notion that the average Joe wouldn’t have the opportunity that Vick is given after he’s been found guilty.

The Rick Pitino scandal is a similar case where it seems the majority of African Americans want to see him fired for his infidelity and abortion payment. Though there are more Caucasians who want Pitino fired also.  The President and Athletic director of Louisville are stated to be standing behind their coach, while radio shows such as the Petros and Money and the Gary Radnich Shows, both say they will not cover the Pitino case because it has nothing to do with his professional career.

Isn’t that what garners the most coverage, when an athlete or coach does something inappropriate off the field or court, such as Michael Vick, Kobe Bryant, Ben Roethlisberger, Bobby Knight, Bill Clinton, Isiah Thomas and etc? Not covering or talking about the Pitino scandal just sounds and looks like a lack of vested interest.

Society has changes so much over time to when a baby who isn’t born yet, is terminated and it’s looked at as a non issue and not considered unethical. I have an issue with a college coach being involved in situation like this, but that’s a different article for a different writer.

This article is not meant to judge or to say one group of people feel this way, because I got plenty of friends of different races on both sides of the fence. It’s meant to show how we as human beings can hold some form of biased opinions if being truthful with ourselves.

There are many different shades of colors who love animals. I don’t think you can say Caucasians or African Americans love animals more than the other. I don’t know if there is a side which is 100% right, but what I do know is that I would feel better about this Vick saga if there were a mixture of chocolate and vanilla on both sides of the issue.

Both sides need to look outside of their skin at both perspectives and get a feel for the mindset and upbringing of certain individuals. I’ve put my possible biased thinking and inner feelings out there on this article for you to see, can you?

Your take?

As always, you can reach me at haynes.sportstalkbuzz@yahoo.com

Tags

In response to “The Vick saga is a segregating one!”

1. Charlotte Aug 15 20099:59 am

Applause…..Chris, I truly applaud you for stepping outside of your comfort zone and giving we readers a different take on the situation. I love the fact that you addressed the racial biased of the situation with Vick. Wrong is wrong and forgiveness is forgiveness. There should not be different rules for different races or classes. Thanks for opening up the dialogue!!! Cant wait for the next hot topic.

2. Dan Rakusan Aug 15 200910:19 am

I'm as white as it gets, and I have always been on Vick's side. Firstly I found his punishment ridiculous, and then on top of it, the opposition to his reinstatement. In my books, I'm really happy that the Eagles decided to take a shot at him, and I think he'll thrive on their team… I also believe that McNabb will be hurt towards the end of the season, and I believe Vick will impress as a starter.

3. CHRIS HAYNES Aug 15 200910:40 am

I have to admit that when I first heard about the involvement of Vick and dog-fighting, my first response was what's the big deal? The neighborhood that I came from, you would see dog-fighting from time to time. Then I found out about the details of what he was doing and I couldn't imagine seeing it in person. Then seeing the reactions to dog lovers and educating myself to the fact that a lot of people value and love dogs like humans, that's when I was able to empathize. I still feel if everyone who goes through the proper channels deserves a second chance regardless of race. I know your feelings about Vick Dan, but it seems like it's hard for human beings to go against what their inner circle believes. As far as Vick's future contribution to the Eagles, I agree totally that Vick will get an opportunity to start sometime this season and be productive. The Eagles are hoping that's the case, that's why he gets a significant raise in pay if he makes it to year two.

1. Dan Rakusan Aug 16 20099:49 am

1. CHRIS HAYNES Aug 16 200910:59 am

1. Dan Rakusan Aug 16 200911:03 am

Junkies value heroine as much as human life, so does that make it okay to kill someone for a fix?My point is, regardless of how you feel about dog-fighting (which in my case means total apathy), Vick has always deserved a second chance. There's far bigger criminals currently in the NFL, and people who have done far more heinous crimes who haven't faced a proportionate penalty for their actions (Stallworth, Heatley etc).I wouldn't mind checking out a dog-fight some day, but of course, I hate dogs… To me, as long as they're being bred to fight, trained to fight, then they should likely fight! It's no different from horse racing really… Horses don't naturally jump over fences. They are trained to do it, and often not in the nicest way. Spurs, don't kid yourself, hurt horses. I've heard of people using electro-shock to get their horses to do what they want… It's all the same stuff, except for some reason we draw the line when it involves what most people consider pets.Pit-bull terriers were genetically designed for fighting. That's why I don't believe people should own them as pets… They are a danger to children and adults alike, simply because they are ridiculously powerful animals. Kill them all would be my solution…Vick is hardly a menace to society, and I wish him all the best, even if he's playing on a team I can't stand…LOL, Dan you are a fool. I would have to say that you made some valid points. I see the contradiction with certain animals that you talk about. I think because dogs are considered “Man’s best friend”, is the reason why so many people are outraged over Vick (along with the severity of his crime). I personally think that a “Man’s best friend” should be a Man or WoMan. Having said that, there are people who love dogs and treat them as family (I mean real family), and that's ok, that's something I can respect. But I see where you’re coming fromIf you agree with me, or at least see where I'm coming from, wouldn't that make you a fool as well??? LOL… Just buggin…As for the “severity of his crime”, I would be willing to bet that the Reyes family would disagree emphatically about how justice was meted out in the Stallworth case versus the Vick case…

4. bebe Aug 17 20093:18 pm

Very interesting blog Chris. Talk about stepping into the fray with this blog, you hit all aspects about this Vick case. No doubt race will always play role in peoples opinions. Sad but true. Personally, I think Vick paid his debt society, I don't understand why Goodell needs to nail him with a suspension now too. Good job on not being on the fence on this issue and for talking about the real issues.

1. CHRIS HAYNES Aug 18 20099:21 pm

Thanks Bebe, this blog is something that most people would rather not discuss, but I think in this case, it should open up a conversation for some educating dialogue. I'm glad you enjoyed it

5. Sandy Gemmiti Aug 19 20093:20 am

I gotta say I don't see it…while I am white and I do disagree with what Mike Vick did and I also wrote a blog on how I wouldn't sign him (for both football and personal reasons) I see and hear many white people who think Mike Vick has paid his due and should be back in the league. I also highly doubt that the entire African American side is behind Vick…..I wouldn't want someone who did this on my football team regardless of the colour of their skin. Heck we complain when guys party too hard, or show up late for practice and say they are bad in the room….what do you say about a guy who did this stuff…..I agree that guys like Stallworth and Heatley did bad things as well like Dan mentions but what those 2 men did were choices that were made in likely 2 minutes and 2 minutes later it turned bad…I can understand when someone decides to drink and drive…not making it right but I would say a majority of people have done it. Yes very stupid thing to do but 1 bad judgment doesn't mean these guys are bad people…or in Heatley's case he was just driving too fast not drunk….hell how many people have been driving to fast to show off with a friend. Mike Vick did this over a very long period of time, having plenty of time to think of his actions…not trying to say killing dogs is worse but the thought difference is very large. Heater was simply showing off his fast car with his buddy, and Stallworth made 1 bad choice…oh ya and Heater didn't pretend it never happened.

1. CHRIS HAYNES Aug 19 20097:12 am

You made valid points. Vick was responsible and participated in a brutal act over and over. Stalleorth and Heatley both didn't have intentions of killing anyone. It was just a stupid decision that resulted in a trajic accident for both situations. I agree with you totally there.About the segregation, from my African American perspective, I've talked to numerous of AA and many of my family members. I would say that 97% of them are pulling for Vick. No, they don't represent the entire AA community, but you get a good estimation thy the percentage is high nationally. If I had to guess, my guestimation would be 70-30 from the AA community. Which is too high for someone who was involved in something like this.Shan talking about the Caucasian community, I'm just going off of the local and national radio shows and the protesters that ESPN shows. I don't see one AA out there protesting and I also don't see one AA out here protesting with PETA. I know there is a multitude of ethnicitys that love dogs, but why is only one group actively protesting?Going off of what I see and hear everyday, that's why I wrote this blog. There's no doubt that I said you will find people ok both sides of the argument, but there are clearly different views about this topic by both parties.Racism is a strong word, I don't think that word should be associated with this blog. It was just to shed light on the different views and possible biased on both sidesAn

6. Joseph Gallo Aug 19 20095:54 am

Personally I'm not a big fan of articles dealing with race (because I feel they have been done to death, often in cases where it's not relevant) but I enjoyed reading this due to your honestly and that fact that it was well written. I myself am white, so I'm open to hearing a different point of view on a debated topic dealing with race such as in this case.My take is simple…I hate what Vick did, as I am big animal person, however he served his time and has the right to now earn a living. I also think Roger Godell has gone too far by suspending him for 5 (or is it 6?) games. Also just want to mention people often get confused when they believe Vick went to jail for just killing dogs. His sentence mainly had to do with gambling and other interstate crimes related to the dogfighting. That aside, I say let him play. I won't cheer for him however (I am a Giants fan), unless he players against Favre. Then again at this point I'd cheer for the Taliban over Favre. As for Pitino, I just don't care to be honest. What he did was a private matter that he and his family have to deal with. I'm aware school's have clauses in their contracts where they can fire someone for embarrassing the university, so I'd say its up to them to do what they want. But he wins, hence he makes the school lots of money so he's not going anywhere. Still I really don't care what he does in his personal life.

1. CHRIS HAYNES Aug 19 20097:25 am

Joseph I agree totally. I hate it when someone brings up the race card without thoroughly doing some research. But Joseph like I told Sandy, this blog was more about two different views from both sides then anything else. I didn't use racism or prejudice in this blog because I don't think it belongs. I'm having a serious debate with one of my cousins who agrees with Vick when Vick said it's apart of the culture. That had me really hot, because it's people like my cousin who give the AA community a bad mark. I appreciate you reading it through because I know how people react when they see a title like this one. It was trully meant to educated different view points and to ask the question, why are people divided on this topic?

7. Dan Rakusan Aug 19 20095:26 pm

Just admit it, you hate crackers…lol….Just buggin ya…You took a stand, albeit one that I disagree with (likely because I also live in a mostly caucasian neighbourhood, with lots of dog owners, but yet, who are surprisingly either non-caring about the issue, or pro-Vick's second chance)…. It's important though, to sometimes talk about these things, even it if only serves to disspell the issues of race on a public case such as this…Bottom line, Vick will hopefully be treated like anyone else who paid his due to (the Humane) society…