- Pro Sports Blogging - http://www.prosportsblogging.com -
Posted By Frank Mazzola On Sep 10 2009 @ 10:13 pm In New York Jets | 1 Comment
A breakdown of the Sunday battle between the Jets and the Houston Texans
Sunday September 13
Reliant Stadium- Houston, Texas
Keys to Success:
1. Control the clock- The Jets bolstered an already strong running game when they draft Shonn Green in the third round of April's draft. The intention behind the move was clear: With a rookie quarterback calling the shots, the team had to provide a powerful rushing presence to take the pressure off. Expect upwards of 40 rushing attempts by Gang Green.
2. Take shots downfield- While Houston's pass rush (starring Mario Williams) is expected to imporve, the secondary still has a long way to go before the same can be said for it. While the Jets will want to limit what Sanchez does in his first NFL game, he must be allowed to take a few deep shots to Chansi Stuckey or David Clowney. Doing so can completely change the momentum of the game.
1. Keep a lid on Slaton- Slaton was a huge surprise for the Texans last year, rushing for 1,282 yards. The Jets improved against the run last year, but still find themselves susceptibile to fast, pass-catching types like the former West Virgina Mountaineer. It's imperitive that they not allow him space to make plays.
2. Contain Johnson- We all know Andre Johnson is nearly impossible to shut down comletely. However, Darrelle Revis must slow the elite wide receiver down enough to get help from a safety. Kevin Waler may not play, so the Jets will be able to concentrate more fully on Johnson.
Notes: The Jets will be without Shaun Ellis and Calvin Pace for this game. Both of them remain suspended for violating the league's substance abuse policy…Houston quarterback Matt Schaub is still hobbled by a sprained ankle. If he can;t play, then Rex Grossman will get the start, something that would a huge break for the Jets.
Prediction: Jets 20, Houston 17
About the Author
Article printed from Pro Sports Blogging: http://www.prosportsblogging.com
URL to article: http://www.prosportsblogging.com/2009/09/10/jets_texans_preview/
URLs in this post:
 Subscribe to author's RSS feed: http://www.prosportsblogging.com/author/frankmazzola/feed/
Copyright © ProSportsBlogging.com. All rights reserved.