- Pro Sports Blogging - http://www.prosportsblogging.com -
Posted By Frank Mazzola On Oct 3 2009 @ 4:40 pm In New York Jets | No Comments
A breakdown of New York's battle against Drew Brees and the Saints
October 5, 2009
The Superdome, New Orleans, LA
Keys to victory:
1. High percentage passes- New Orleans can be thrown on (they have yieleded an average if 245.3 passing yards per game this year) but they have an opportunistic defensive backfield that has already intercepted seven balls this year. QB Mark Sanchez should work the sidelines to Jerricho Cotchery and Chansi Stuckey as well as throw short passes in the flat to TE Dustin Keller. Don't expect him to take a ton of shots downfield.
2. Don't abandon the run- It's hard to say whether or not the Saints are a good run-stopping team or not as opponents have been forced to pass in order to keep up the high octane offense led by Drew Brees. New York needs to test them and to keep the ball out of Brees' hands for as long as possible. That's going to require a heavy workload for both Thomas Jones and Leon Washington.
1. Force Brees into hurried throws- There are few quarterbacks as good at dealing with the blitz as Drew Brees is. However, he's still human and Rex Ryan's defense showed they could rattle even Tom Brady. Expect the Jets to get creative while simultaneously dropping seven men into coverage to limit the Saints as the Bills did last week.
2. Keep Thomas under wraps- Expect the Saints to combat this blitzing strategy with a heavy dose of play action. In order to successfully pull that off, they need to be able to establish the running game with Pierre Thomas toting the rock the majority of the time. The Jets need to take him out of the game early.
News and Notes: The Jets will be without Lito Sheppard and Donald Stickland. The Saints will likely be without Lance Moore…It will be interesting to see how Sanchez deals with a deafeningly loud crowd at the Superdome. He has shown more poise thus far than anybody had a reasonable right to expect.
Saints 24, Jets 21
About the Author
Article printed from Pro Sports Blogging: http://www.prosportsblogging.com
URL to article: http://www.prosportsblogging.com/2009/10/03/jets_saints_preview/
URLs in this post:
 Subscribe to author's RSS feed: http://www.prosportsblogging.com/author/frankmazzola/feed/
Copyright © ProSportsBlogging.com. All rights reserved.