- Pro Sports Blogging - http://www.prosportsblogging.com -
Posted By Frank Mazzola On Oct 23 2009 @ 12:18 am In New York Jets | No Comments
A breakdown of the Jets' drive for respectability facing the formerly hapless Raiders
Sunday October 25
Oakland-Alameda County Stadium
Keys to Victory:
1. Run till you drop- The Raiders have Nnamdi Asomugha in their defensive backfield and he's about as good a shutdown cornerback as there is in this league. The way to beat the Raiders in recent years has been to run the ball down their throats and not much has changed on that front. Expect a major workload from Thomas Jones, Leon Washington and possibly even Shonn Greene.
2. Exploit the linebackers with Keller- A big reason the Jets have lost three in a row is that they've gotten away from some things that have made them successful. One of those is utilizing tight end Dustin Keller's rare package of size and speed to create mismatches with slower linebackers. Expect the Jets to have MArk Sanchez throw high percentage passes to Keller and Washington out of the backfield.
1. Disturb Russell- JaMarcus Russell has been one of the sport's biggest busts at quarterback, but he is a physically gifted athlete. Rex Ryan needs to dial up a ton of blitzes and coverages to confuse Russell and force him into making many mistakes. They have to be careful not to let him escape the pocket as the quarterback is able to make plays with his legs.
2. Key on Fargas- The Jets rushing defense took a huge hit earlier this week when it was revealed that NT Kris Jenkins will be lost for the season with a knee injury. Therefore, Sione Pouha is going to have to pick up the slack at the position. Expect the Jets to stack the box in an attempt to make Russell beat them with the pass.
New and Notes: Jerricho Cotchery returned to practice after missing last week with a hamstring injury. Baring any setbacks, he should be good to go.
Jets 24, Oakland 9
About the Author
Article printed from Pro Sports Blogging: http://www.prosportsblogging.com
URL to article: http://www.prosportsblogging.com/2009/10/23/jets_raiders_preview/
URLs in this post:
 Subscribe to author's RSS feed: http://www.prosportsblogging.com/author/frankmazzola/feed/
Copyright © ProSportsBlogging.com. All rights reserved.