NHL

Top 5 Captains in the NHL

First off, the reason I am writing this blog is due to the feature I just watched on our Real Player Highlights that you see every day here on our site when you logon to the mainpage.

Secondly, I respect MSG analyst Stan Fischler so much, he is a legend and someone I truly respect in this industry.  In the past I have had the opportunity to have Stan on a few different radio shows as a guest and it was an honor to have him on.  But and I mean but on this one, I respectively disagree with his assessment of the Top 5 Captains in the NHL today.  Here are Fischler’s top 5 captains in the NHL this year.

1 – Adam Foote – How Foote is at the top of this list is beyond me?  He shouldn’t even be in the top 5.  He is no longer a difference maker the way he was five years ago.

2 – Shane Doan – I agree, Doan should definitely be in the top 5, he means so much to the Coyotes, the heart and soul of his team.

3 – Rob Blake – He was just named captain before training camp and I don’t see Blake as being that much of a large impact on the Sharks.  It is a team of stars from Boyle, Thornton, Heatley, Marleau….the list goes on and on.

4 – Craig Rivet – Another first year captain for his team and personally I don’t see Rivet as being a difference in terms of the Sabres being in first place in the Northeast Division.  Take him away and the Sabres are still where they are.

5 – Jonathon Toews – Second year captain has had the luxury of being surrounded by some key veteran signings in John Madden and Marian Hossa this year.  Toews still has alot of learning to do and is not worthy of top 5 material, talk to me in a few years about that kind of ranking.

**His 4 honourable mentions are Crosby, Ovechkin, Langenbrunner and Alfredsson.  Three of them should be in his top 5!!**

Now here are my top 5 captains in the NHL today.

1 – Sidney Crosby – He continues to elevate his leadership level each year since taking over as captain of the Pens three years ago.  Without Crosby the Pens aren’t nearly the same team without him when the opposition can focus on Malkin.  Crosby makes those around him better every shift.

2 – Daniel Alfredsson – You can call me a homer on this one, but the stats speak for themselves.  When Alfie is out of the line-up the Sens are a completely different team.  He is the heart and soul of the Sens in every sense of the word.  During his absence in December the Sens went on a five game losing streak, upon his return the team goes on a 11 game win streak.  In Alfie’s first two games back from injury he had 4G, 2A in igniting Ottawa back to top third of the Eastern Conference.  Ottawa is 6-18 when Alfie is out of the line-up.  Without Alfie the Sens don’t even sniff the playoffs, he means that much to this team.

3 – Shane Doan – Doan has really elevated his play this year.  He will drop the gloves a couple of times a year for his team, he is that type of captain.  The respect he commands in the locker room and on the ice is second to none.  If you take Doan away from this Coyotes team, HC Dave Tippett would be sitting with his team in 10th place of the West rather than 5th.  He means that much, similar to Alfie……Doan is the heart and soul of the Coyotes.

4 – Niklas Lidstrom – The epitomy of what you want in your captain.  He not only anchors the blueline, he takes complete charge of his team on a nightly basis.  The first thing any team does when gameplaning against the Wings is how to get the best of Lidstrom and many teams fail at it.  From his Stanley Cup rings to the amount of icetime he logs every night, if you take away Lidstrom from the Wings this year……Detroit is in big trouble.  He has kept things very steady considering the major injuries the Wings have endure this year.

5 – Alexander Ovechkin – Ovechkin has really elevated his play since taking over the captaincy from Chris Clark after being traded to Columbus.  Yes, AO has increased his production and leads in small ways that maybe he wouldn’t have done a year ago.  I have never seen him get more involved physically and on a couple of nights has been ready to drop the gloves for his teammates.  He has embraced the captaincy in a huge way and it is nice to see him play with an edge more than ever.

Honourable mention to Jamie Langenbrunner, Scott Neidermayer, Zdeno Chara and Dustin Brown.

Well, do you agree or disagree with my assessment of the top 5 captains in the NHL today?  This topic makes for a great discussion, so lets have it!!  Start the discussion……….

As always you can reach me at kevinlee@sportstalkbuzz.com

Kevin

Kevin has had an extensive career as a sports writer and radio show host for almost 10 years. Kevin has covered the NFL, NHL, MLB, NCAA College Football and Basketball. From covering the BCS Championship Game to the Final Four and the Stanley Cup Finals, he has done it all. He has been featured on numerous sports radio stations in Canada and the United States and often a weekly guest on numerous XM and Sirius Satellite radio shows. He has also had his work featured on FoxSports.com.

Tags , ,

In response to “Top 5 Captains in the NHL”

1. Shane Hoopfer Feb 9 20105:51 am

My list would be as follows, and no, Drury won't be on it…lol1 – Nicklas Lidstrom2 – Alfie3 – Doan4 – Morrow5 – LangenbrunnerI take off Crosby and Ovechkin, because I don't think they've established themselves as much as the 5 I've listed.Best captain of all time – STEVE YZERMAN.

ummm Jean Beliveau.Yzerman top 5 all time though.

1. Dan Rakusan Feb 9 20105:59 am

ummm Jean Beliveau.Yzerman top 5 all time though.I'm gonna stick with Yzerman. Beliveau is probably my second choice, then Sakic, Messier and maybe Trottier…

2. Glenn Stants Feb 10 20106:17 pm

Good blog Kev and what a way to get comments back and forth. I read most of the above comments and well most teams have captains, your list and most of the others focus on the successful teams in the NHL. A captain does not have to be your best player as most mention but has to be a leader, a speaker, a role model and well that usually is a teams best player, not every team is successful as we know in professional sports. With all that being said I think Iginla should be on the list, he is vocal and a huge leader and well the Flames are not the best in the league, they do compete every game. What about Rick Nash, hey the guy stays in Columbus when there were teams out there willing to give him lots of money, he is one hell of a player but unfortunetely just does not have the best supporting cast but he has shown everything a captain should be in the NHL, I am still a supporter or Joe Thornton albeit the Sharks have not had playoff success, even Vinny Lecalvelier who over the years has been to the Cup and a great promoter of the sport in Tampa. Well I realize these guys are all Canadian, I am sorry to our US folks to the south but that is the way I see it….I like your Oveckin and Crosby as they are current leaders, promoters, role models for years to come in the NHL. I will admit I am writing this off the top of my head and am not 100% sure of who all the captains are but I am still confident on my list…..great topic, look forward to more reads…..

3. Fish12 Feb 10 20106:36 pm

What some of you are forgetting is that Kevin said in his blog best captains today in the NHL, not guys who had great past seasons 5 years ago and are not much of a player today, like Foote. I might take AO off the list but outside of that, your top 4 are easily the best captains right now in the NHL.

1. Dan Rakusan Feb 11 20103:18 pm

1. Kevin Lee Feb 12 20106:07 pm

I'm not forgetting that. And if you're going to take AO off the list, might as well take Crosby off it as well. Ultimately I think AO is a better captain because he can impose his will on a game and change things. Crosby lacks that ability, although he's a great player.I dont know how you could take Crosby off the list, 3 years the captain and led his team to a Cup. He has been better this year production wise at this point in the season than any of his previous 4 seasons. Crosby leads in better ways at this point than AO but I think in due time AO can be similar to Crosby, but right now there is no doubt that Crosby is atop many lists.

2. Kevin Lee Feb 12 20106:06 pm

Yes the list is for now, today, how these captains are playing and leading their teams.

4. Glenn Stants Feb 12 20105:53 am

give the Calgary Flames blog a read as to why I personally think Iginla should be recognized as a top 5 captain in the NHL right now……

1. Kevin Lee Feb 12 20106:09 pm

The way Iginla is playing this year, just no way you could put him in the top 5 right now. 2 years ago I would have said yes but even Iginla's production is down this year. He has been very average. He went goal-less in 12 games at one point.

5. mp Feb 14 20105:52 pm

Your list is pretty close to what I would have picked here Kevin. Maybe subtract Ovechkin. He has worn the C for 2 months. Too early to tell.

1. Dan Rakusan Feb 16 20102:54 pm

1. mp Feb 18 20105:58 am

Ridiculous. OV has basically been the captain of that team since he came in to the league. Chris Clark? Really? Who the hell was stupid enough to put a C on that guy in the first place?Ovechkin is a born leader, just not a vocal one. He leads by example, and there is no player in the league even close to leading by example as well as he does. Crosby's a big bitch who learned his leadership from another whiny bitch – Mario Lemieux. He'll never even be better than Ovechkin's shadow in terms of leadership. Gimme a break…Well lets see, management thought enough of Clark to have the C and not for Ovechkin to wear the C and I think they know alot more than you when it comes to their own players and how they can lead. If they thought Ovechkin was leadership material he would have been wearing the C awhile ago. If the Canes can strip Brind A'Mour of his C during the season, the Caps could have done the same thing if Clark was that bad. You surely dont know your hockey to make a comment like this. Crosby has led his team from Day One in ways that Ovechkin has yet too. In Game 7 last year, AO folded his tent in the most important game, stars don't do that. Crosby led his team to a road win in Game 7 and then Stanley Cup. Don't talk to me about AO being a better leader, leading by example, give me a break. If he led by example I guess that is why his team didn't bring it in Game 7. Crosby over Ovechkin by a mile right now. That gap could change this year but right now, one has a Cup ring the other hasn't even got to a Cup final. End of story.

6. Mark Bates Feb 16 20106:43 pm

Roberto Luongo is absent as well he has a very good squad as far as i think

7. Matt Joseph Feb 18 20109:26 am

No mention of the Thrashers captain…oh, thats right, they don't have one yet again ;-) I lean towards Lidstrom, I think he is everything you want in a player wearing the “C”.He is always in control of the blueline and the ice. The one thing I respect most, he was awarded the “C” after one of the greatest captains in NHL history (yes folks Steve Yzerman) retired, and he has carried the torch better than anyone could have.Six James Norris Memorial Trophies as the league's best defenseman, he is the only European-born NHL captain to win the Stanley Cup, as well as the first European player to be named playoff MVP. Four Stanley Cups, a 2006 Gold Medal, I could go on and on……….

8. Dylan Jun 6 20117:36 am

Captains are known for not only what they do in the league but in the off season. I believe Jarome Iginla one of the best captains in the league. He is the only active NHL player to go visit our troops in Afghanistan.