As per a source and I figured might eventually happen coach Joel Quenneville has been fired and Denis Savard has surprisingly re-joined the Chicago Blackhawks in an attempt to save the season. His mis-management of goaltenders and disastrous line changes have certainly been the cause of Quennevelle’s downfall. Players have mentioned that Q’s dressing room tactics have been along the lines of threatening and somewhat insulting towards everyone. Aprils Fools
In all seriousness, It was a great game for Chicago but let’s get one thing straight as clearly the Hawks problems are not solved as of yet but one would think the goaltending issue controversy for game #1 of the upcoming playoffs is 95% in Niemi’s favor. The other 5% is completely depending on if he keeps it up over the next 7 games and does not get shelled. Somewhere along the lines Huet will play again but I do not see him starting against NJ or Calgary as those are big games for us and the opposition..especially Calgary. Expect Huet against either Dallas or STL. However, with a shot at coach Q which I enjoy doing, one never knows what he is going to do with this roster. The goalie situation in Chicago is definitely not a comfortable one, with other teams it does not matter if the #1 guy gets shelled in the final few games because that guy is certainly playing the playoffs, with Chicago it’s a game by game scenario which I am sure is driving the Hawks and fans bonkers.
Chicago 4 Minnesota 0
- Niemi was a beast as he frustrated the Wild on a 5 on3 PP making 5 huge saves plus about 4-7 other big saves throughout the game.
- Kopecky/Eager/Fraser line was definitely a nice surprise with Kopecky getting 2 goals and Eager with a goal and 2 apples. Fraser played very well also picking up an apple even after getting crushed into the boards which at one point looked to be very serious. The Hawks even had the team doctor on the bench watching him.
- The 3 defensive pairings played very well minus a few giveaways but those happen..it’s hockey
- Toews line was dominating and controlled the play every time they were out
-Buff/Keith defensive combo looked dynamic with both guys getting over 22 minutes of ice time
- We had one PP (which is odd when Auger refs) though we did not score they moved the puck around very well
- Ex Hawk Marty Havlat was invisible and that is a good thing
- Outshot Minny 35-21
-Faceoffs were quite even, something we need to improve on again
In ending, let’s hope the Hawks can build off this as they have done this before.. shutting out an opposition and then laying an egg in the next game. Is this a turn around for the final 7 games? Let’s hope so for our beloved Hawks sake. If coach Q decides to adjust all the lines differently for the next game (barring injuries) I will most certainly question him once again as I have all year.
Have a fantastic April 1st and thanks for reading,
About the Author
Written by Trent Kondo
An all around sports fan and has been a Chicago BlackHawks supporter longer then he can remember. Currently writes for Prosportsblogging.com on the Blackhawks and NHLHotstove.com on the Edmonton Oilers. (If you would like to email feel free to contact Trent at TKONHOCKEY@gmail.com )