While some fans are enjoying the success of there hockey team in the NHL playoffs most fans are sitting around and waiting for the summer to see what there team is going to do. I being an Islander fan seem to wait for this every year. Who is going? Who is coming? Who will the Islanders draft? Will Dipietro play? Are just some questions that go through my head. Well here is my wish list of trades moves and picks that the Islanders should make:
First off lets talk some trades shall we. The Islanders right now have some players on this team that I think is time to move on, players who should be traded:
- Trent Hunter – I feel his time is up here. He had a great first season with the Islanders but then I don’t know what happened to him. He was supposed to set up in front of the net and get garbage goals but for some reason he is to scared also too he hits which is great but not effectively. He is also slow.
- Radek Martinek – He is a great defenseman when he is playing but this guy is injured every year in November. He played only 16 games this year. He gets hit into the boards and he shatters like glass. I think we should ship him out before he heads to his vacation in November.
- Brendan Witt – He is getting old and he has lost more then just a step. He was put on waivers and no one wanted him so I don’t see any one trading for him but if we could find a taker you take it for whatever they are offering.
- Rick Dipietro – Now I know he is not going anywhere but I think the Islanders should explore options. Goalie of the future has been nothing but a bust. One good year in him and he struggled through out the playoffs. Another guy hurt every year. If he loves the Islanders as much as he does then quit the come back attempts retire and go in the office. I also feel the Islanders play better without him. If the islanders though could find someone for him then you grab it. Let me remind you the Islanders have drafted and signed tons of talent in that position last year. Coincidence??
Now that is just the guys on the roster who should be traded right now. I feel there are a couple of prospects that they can trade and get returns for. One is Jesse Joensuu. I like this kid trust me but for some reason the Islanders have not given him his shot yet and that puts of the red flags for him. Dustin Kohn is another guy as well. The Islanders have De Haan and Harmonic coming up the ranks and are supposed to be the real deal so it makes him spendable.
My wish, make a huge trade with Chicago like they did when they traded Brent Sutter over there back in the day. They can trade them Hunter, Dipietro, throw in Martinek prospect and a pick and possibly grab lets say Patrick Sharp, Kris Versteeg, And Huet. It would help lower the payroll for the Blackhawks and give the Islanders some players to play with the youth. I know wishful thinking but hey you never know. I do feel something is going to happen this year. Trade possibly and maybe the number 5 pick. Call me crazy if you like but something has got to give on the Island.
Ok now for free agents. Wow where to begin here. The Islanders have a few of them and as I look at the list the only guy I might even think about bringing back is maybe Richard Park. He was great on the penalty kill and is a fourth liner and the kids seem to like him. Everyone else well I say Adios. Who should the Islanders sign? Well despite everyone who has talent and can hold a hockey stick here is who I think they should target big time:
- Tomas Plekanec – He would look awesome centering our first line with Tavares. I honestly feel he is staying put but hopefully he wins the cup and decides you know what I can help a up and coming team (wishful thinking)
- Alexander Frolov – I am a little fed up with Russian players after the Yashin experiment but I do feel this is not the same situation. I think he could help out this team and especially if Petrov comes over maybe there will be a great connection there.
- Alex Ponikarovski – Could be the diamond in the rough. I like his hands and his size I think he could help the younger guys as well up front and like Moulson sit in front of the net and deflect pucks into the net especially on the PP
- Matthew Lombardi – Another player that could help out the offense up front also a great defender
- Anton Volchenkov – Here is another wishful thinking signing. He would look great blocking shots and adding a goal or two here or there. The Islanders need a solid stand up defenseman and I think he would fit the bill perfectly.
- Dan Hamuis – Another wishful thinking but we need another goal scoring defenseman here. Would look great with Mark Streit
- A goaltender – Why you may ask? I don’t trust Dipietro. I am afraid he is going to get hurt all over again and we are going to need a great back up to Roloson. Once again my reason for the trade mentioned above
Other who gets honorary mention is: Marek Svatos, Adam Burrish, Craig Conroy, Colby Armstrong, Christopher Higgins, Alex Tanguay. Frederick Modin and Kyle Wellwood.
The Islanders also have some restricted free agents that I would consider bringing back. Matt Moulson our only goal scorer last year you definitely have to bring him back no questions asked. I also would consider Bergneheim for one more year. I like his potential and if we can get his butt in motion then maybe we could get more out of him.
Well this is what I am hoping. With the right trades and the right picks and the right signings this team could definitely be a playoff team next year. If we ever get this Lighthouse thing or the move to Queens this team will have stability and draw players here to play. I really think we can turn the page and be a powerhouse once again. So here is to a good summer of hockey moves let’s just hope that the Islanders make the right ones
About the Author
Written by Timothy Noto
I am an avid Islander fan and I tell it the way it is. If the Islanders are playing bad well there is no sugar coating it. I live on Long Island and have been a fan since PAt Lafontaine got traded.