We’ve hit the halfway point of the year, so now is as good a time as any for Uncle Copes to hand out his midseason awards for the WWE. Categories have been chosen entirely at random and I’m the only one that voted…but it occurred to me that I’ve watched a whole lot of wrestling this year and that’s qualification enough, so without further ado…
Wrestler of the Year:
- CM Punk – He’s untouchable on the mic (see this year’s Royal Rumble, or his creepy rendition of “Happy Birthday” to Rey Mysterio’s daughter) and the constant reinvention of his character (the mask), make him the winner going-away.
- Sheamus – No one has improved more on the mic…he’s become a heat-magnet, and the fact that he’s turned into a no-nonsense heel speaks to his in-ring work
- Randy Orton – Amazing! He has done nothing at all to alter his character, but has turned into one of the most-over wrestlers in the business
Match of the Year:
- HBK vs. Taker, Part 2 at Wrestlemania 26 – two of the all-time greats work their magic; a fitting farewell for Shawn Michaels
- CM Punk vs. Rey Mysterio; the head shave match at Extreme Rules – blood, bumps, and some great near-falls…this one had it all
- Cody Rhodes vs. Christian on Friday Night Smackdown – A PPV-quality match given away on TV as both men shone in a lengthy tilt
(News) Story of the Year:
- Return of the Monday Night Wars between TNA and Raw – wrestling fans were ready to party like it was 1998 all over again
- TNA ends the Monday Night Wars after just a few weeks – if a wrestling show falls in the woods and…oh, nevermind.
- Release of Bryan Danielson from WWE after NXT Invasion angle – I still think that it’s the same 77 smarks that follow Danielson’s every move, but this even made the “mainstream” fans take notice
Tag Team of Year:
- Joey Votto – how does that even happen?
- Show-Miz – temporary team was fun while it lasted in a REALLY weak division
- Hart Dynasty – haven’t been involved in a meaningful feud due to a dearth of opponents but sure were fun at Wrestlemania 26 helping out Bret “The Hitman” Hart
Face of the Year:
- Randy Orton – Hell, I’m still not sure he can really be considered a face; doesn’t matter to the members of the WWE Universe who eat up “The Viper’s” every move
- John Cena – supposedly it’s the kids who love him and the grownups who hate him, but maybe those grownups wearing the bright, orange T-shirts at Madison Square Garden two weeks ago didn’t get the memo.
- Big Show – it was harder to find a third name for this list than you might think; Show is kind of fun though, I guess…so he’s my choice
Heel of the Year:
- CM Punk – He’s better than me because he’s “Straight Edge” and I’m not
- Sheamus – Amazing what a lead pipe and an attack on HHH can do for you
- The Miz – Almost as good as CM Punk at getting under your skin
Once December rolls around, I’m sure this list will look a lot different than it does now with the likes of Evan Bourne and the Nexus emerging, and it still remains to be seen what will happen when HHH and The Undertaker return. The next six months are sure to be as interesting as the first half of this year has been.
About the Author