You might need two hands to count the number of times an all-star has claimed to have serious interest in playing in NY this off season. If you take a look at the Knicks roster at this point, you’ll see some new faces, but only one all-star. Once again the Knicks have a franchize changing trade opportunity staring them in the face yet may be coming up empty handed.
According to the Daily News, sources close to the Nuggets organization believe that the Knicks do not have the assets to trade for Carmelo Anthony. The Knicks would ideally have to trade Eddy Curry’s expiring contract, (which is real enticing let me tell ya), a future first round draft pick (2028 Draft?), and Danilo Gallinari or Wilson Chandler. Knowing that D’antoni drafted Danilo and made him his personal project, I believe he is going to do everything he can to trade Chandler instead. So there you have it, Eddy Curry, a future first round pick, and Wilson Chandler for Carmelo Anthony, a top 5 player in the league. Deal?
Like any other die hard Knicks fan of course I want Melo on my team. Melo’s 30 PPG and 8 RPG mixed with the powerhouse we know as Amare to combine efforts under D’antoni’s offense, and you have a another dangerous team emerging in the Eastern Conference. Your Knicks now go from a possible 8th slot team in the East to competing with Boston for the 3rd slot. Yeah I said it.
Although it may not seem like the Knicks have a snowballs chance in hell of signing Melo. There are several intangibles which Carmelo holds which may give hope.
- Born in Brooklyn NY
- Attended/played ball at Syracuse
- Married to Alani Vazquez (aka La La) also from NY/married in NY
- Says D’Antoni is “one of the best in the league”
- Hangs out with rappers and radio personalities in his free time.. he enjoys being under the lime light.
If in fact Carmelo wants to be traded, I do believe that NY is his preferred destination. He could care less about what the Nuggets end up with if a trade does in fact happen. It’s just a matter of the whether or not the Knicks can put together a package that is attractive to the Nuggets organization. His proposed three year, sixty-five million dollar extension is too much guaranteed money to leave on the table unless he has other plans. If Melo continues to decline the extension, the Nuggets will deal him some time between now and the February trading deadline.
- Although Tony Parker has remained loyal to his team and is not speaking on any trade rumors and his interest in playing in NY, his wife hasn’t been able to keep her thoughts to herself. Two nights ago, while Tony and Eva attended a NY Red Bull game to watch their friend Thierry Henry, Eva was overheard saying that her husband wants to come to the Big Apple. Socialitelife
- When you think of the 96,97,98,99 Knicks, the classic rivalries with the pacers and heat, and their playoff runs, you can’t help but think of Larry Johnson and his famous four point play. Larry was a vital piece of the Knicks success and one of the more memorable ones. Larry.. whats goin on man? First you retire and don’t return to the Garden for like ten years and now you stick up for Lebron and his “decision”. Show some loyalty.
About the Author
Written by Justin Sammartano
Born and raised in Long Island NY. Iona College Graduate. Die hard NY Knicks fan.