- Pro Sports Blogging - http://www.prosportsblogging.com -
Here We Go Again. NHL Sets Deadline?
Posted By Shane Hoopfer On Sep 2 2010 @ 10:13 am In NHL | 5 Comments
When I read the New York Post and see that Larry Brooks has written that the NHL has given the NHLPA a deadline of Friday 5pm EST to accept changes to the way long term contracts are weighted and written or the NHL will not allow the Kovalchuk contract, and possibly review or cancel current contracts I really get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.
Here is what Mr. Brooks is saying the NHL is telling the NHLPA to accept.
1. That the cap hit on future multi-year contracts will not count any seasons that end with the player over 40 years of age. The cap hit would be calculated on the average of the salary up through age 40 only.
2. That the cap hit on future contracts longer than five years will be calculated under a formula granting additional weight to the five years with the highest salary.
The league has given the PA, which is being directed by Donald Fehr, until Friday at 5 pm to accept these conditions. If the PA refuses, or if negotiations fail to yeild a common ground, the league has informed the PA that:
1. It will reject the Kovalchuk contract.
2. It will move to immediately devoid the Luongo contract.
3. It will move to immediately open proceedings for a formal investigation into the Hossa contract.
The NHL owns sweeping punitive powers against teams and players judged guilty of circumvention under Article 26 of the CBA.
Now there are some members of the NHL that are saying that no deadline has been given. Well of course no one is going to admit it! But the fact of the matter is that the NHL feels they have the NHLPA in a vulnerable position here. and likely they do.
I don’t think for a second that Donald Fehr would tell the players to just follow along on this, and would be ready to take the NHL through a legal battle if they tried to block Ilya’s contract or started voiding contracts like Luongo’s or Hossa’s.
Get ready everyone because the shots are starting to be fired in this war that could lead us to another work stoppage. Lets hope that the NHL and NHLPA brass figure out that this sport can’t survive another work stoppage.
Have a good one!
Follow me on twitter! www.twitter.com/shanehoopfer
About the Author
Article printed from Pro Sports Blogging: http://www.prosportsblogging.com
URL to article: http://www.prosportsblogging.com/2010/09/02/here-we-go-again-nhl-sets-deadline/
URLs in this post:
 Subscribe to author's RSS feed: http://www.prosportsblogging.com/author/hoop27/feed/
Copyright © ProSportsBlogging.com. All rights reserved.