After some delay’s, I’m glad to say I’m here on prosportsblogging providing content for the 2010 FIU Golden Panthers football season.
Some background information on me, Jay Ramos: I have been working with FIU Student Media (Fiusm.com) since the fall of 2007 and am currently the sports director. In my time here, I have been the men’s basketball beat for two years in addition to covering football in 2009. I have had the opportunity in my time to interview the likes of T.Y Hilton, Isiah Thomas, and Tim Tebow, among others. This season, I am free of any beat and my content is comprised of writing columns, blogging, discussing on our radio show, and game broadcasts (more on that later.)
Enough of me though, bottom line is the season opener is a week away and we have a lot to cover before then. I will be opining on this blog as well as linking stories we run at fiusm.com. I will probably be at the weekly press conference with coach Mario Cristobal this week and will discuss it here.
Here are some tidbits to boil you over until then:
- The Starting quarterback situation has not been publicly announced by the team. Wayne Younger and Wesley Carroll are the two suspects, but Carroll seems to have the edge. My guess is that he will win the job. Our beat writer, Igor Melo, is reporting that Carroll has been taking the majority of 1st team snaps.
- Listen to the game LIVE: As I mentioned before, you have a chance to catch every home game streaming live on fiusm.com, and if you’re in Miami, on your radio dial wavering though three locations (88.1-Homestead,95.3-South Miami,96.9-North Miami). It will be a priveledge to be joined in the booth by Paul McCall, who was the Golden Panther starting quarterback the last two seasons and is currently working on his graduate degree at FIU. He is sure to give the audience great insight as our color commentator.
- I will also be talking other FIU sports here from time-to-time, as men’s and women’s soccer is underway, Volleyball is heating up and basketball is around the corner.
- Had a chance to chat a little bit with coach Cristobal on Friday, where I was covering a high school game between Hialeah High and American High on my gig as a Miami Herald freelancer. The Golden Panthers reportedly are recruiting a couple of Hialeah standouts, wide receiver Carlos Carvajal and running back Jerron Seymour. Per NCAA rules, nobody on the coaching staff is allowed to comment about prospective recruits. Rivals.com is reporting FIU has nine verbal commitments thus far for their 2011 class.
- I’m going to ask the administrators here at prosportsblogging to change from the old logo and get with the times, so need no worry.
About the Author
Written by Jay Ramos