Pittsburgh at Tennessee preview – Sunday 1 :00 pm (eastern)
The last time the Steelers visited Tennessee, the Titans came away with a 31-14 win two years ago, and then Titans’ running back LenDale White taunted the visitors by stomping on the famous Terrible Towel. Created in 1975 by then Steelers radio broadcast Myron Cope, the Towel has since become “arguably the best-known fan symbol of any major pro sports team”. That image is undoubtedly burned into the minds of the Steelers, but Titans Head Coach Jeff Fisher believes it won’t be an issue on Sunday.
“LenDale could have made a better decision,” Fisher said. “Lord knows, there are better uses for a Terrible Towel, like as a napkin, or, perchance, to wipe down a potential crime scene.”
Fisher’s cocky response actually motivates me MORE!!!…. It’s too bad the Titans got upset by Baltimore in the playoffs that year, as the Steelers couldn’t exact revenge until this Sunday! (we did win Super Bowl though Fisher)
Steelers WR Hines Ward said Wednesday that incident has not been forgotten. “When you disrespect the towel, you are disrespecting the people here in Pittsburgh and all of Steeler Nation,” Ward said. “Steelers fans still remember it and they will always remember that.” Solid, well said Hines… We strive on disrespect, feed off it as SteelerNation! In fact, I play my fantasy leagues with that in mind.. i.e. ahhh SORRY, this is not the venue, but Team Russ knows what I am talking about, KA-boom!
Bottom line, game will be decided on the field, but any added motivation will help the black and gold as they enter game 2 out of 4 without suspended QB Ben Roethlisberger.
Keys to game
- Steelers defense will need to play just as good, if not better than last Sunday, with an ultra aggressive, energized, and physical approach.
- Of course, Chris Johnson, is the Titans speedster back, but we must contain him and wrap him up well all game. Stick him hard in the screen game.
- Be prepared for QB Vince Young scrambling, I believe we can handle their wide outs in man to man coverage.
- Steelers need to win special teams… No miss kicks Jeff Reed, solid punts, and better field position by returners.
- QB Dennis Dixon needs to stay poised, trust his eyes/coverages, and trust his instincts to make a play with his legs vs. a good Titans pass rush.
- Can we get a gadget play please Tomlin?
My terrible towel will be with me on Sunday…. Vegas say Steelers lose this game, but in the spirit of the old Steelers head coach, Bill Cowher, who once said “I like our chances!”, I love our chances, as we find a way!
Steelers 19 Titans 16
Look for my recap blog on Sunday evening.
About the Author
Written by Chris Palisin
My Bachelor's Degree is in Kinesiology from Penn State, and I have been involved in fitness, athletics, sports, and coaching all my life. Recently, I discovered a new passion in life, covering and writing about sports. I am confident I can offer an unique and interesting take on sports with my experience, particularly the NFL and for Steeler Nation this year. My hope is you enjoy and respect my opinion.... Enjoy the journey!