Donnie Walsh spoke on the Fan (WFan 660) NY Sports Radio show today with Mike Francesa and had some interesting things to say about the team and the acquisitions from this off season.
Most notably: Donnie stated that Amare Stoudemire and Danilo Gallinari are a “match made in heaven.” He went on to explain how a double or even triple team on Amare would give Danillo an opportunity for many open shots. Great news right?
On second thought… If they are so proud of this “match made in heaven”, does this mean that Donnie would not consider placing Danilo in a trade package for Carmelo Anthony? Probably. Danilo also happens to be the most valuable and promising asset the Knicks have to trade right now.
Questions to ask yourself:
- Is there a combination of players/draft picks/expiring contracts EXCLUDING Danilo that would interest the Nuggets enough to trade Carmelo?
- Do the Knicks even need to trade for Carmelo in order to be a contender?
- Will the Knicks miss the boat again?
Other topics Walsh touched on:
- Has not spoken to or seen Eddy Curry in three months.
- He is impressed in Anthony Randolph’s abilities and believes he has an incredible upside.
- Believes that if the Knicks mold well together, they are a playoff team. Does not specify how far he believes they can go.
- Says that they DO have the assets to trade for Carmelo but does not want his players to think they might be traded.
- Danilo has worked on his strength and has become better at getting to the basket this off season.
- No comment on Isiah Thomas.
About the Author
Written by Justin Sammartano
Born and raised in Long Island NY. Iona College Graduate. Die hard NY Knicks fan.