The Rockets lost their preseason opener tonight against Orlando, and while it means nothing, it is the first look we’ve gotten at them in a game situation, so here are 7 quick thoughts I had on the game:
1. It was just good to see Yao on the floor again. The fact that he played and made it through his 12 minutes is a big positive. I liked that they brought him back in during the first period after he played the first six minutes. Its a good way to build his conditioning.
2. The Rockets are going to have to figure out a way to protect defensively. He didn’t move well to begin with, but he really looked slow tonight. It will be worse when he has to guard centers who play outside the paint.
3. Love how Kevin Martin gets to the free throw line at will. I really think he, not Yao will be the Rockets key this season.
4. I thought it was interesting that Jordan Hill replaced Yao and played with the starters. That being said, he didn’t look that great.
5. Courtney Lee looked great at the defensive end, not so great at the offensive end. I really like his athleticism.
6. Chase Budinger took 9 shots, and only one was a three. I think he becoming a better rounded offensive player, and using his athleticism by getting inside.
7. I liked Kyle Lowry’s aggressiveness running the point.
About the Author
Written by Adam Spolane
Spend most of my time in Houston covering teams in Houston, however in the summer I am a radio broadcaster for the Casper Ghosts, the Colorado Rockies Pioneer League affiliate.