Mathieu Garon will look to keep his 2010-11 undefeated streak alive tonight against the Atlanta Thrashers. Garon hasbeen the perfect back-up for the Columbus Blue Jackets this year with a 3-0 record, 1.15 GAA, .957 save percentage, and one shutout. He also boasts a 4-0 lifetime record against the Atlanta Thrashers. He is coming off a 3-0 shutout against the Montreal Canadiens on Tuesday night. Tonight it is Steve Mason’s turn to watch from the bench after his sub-par performance Saturday night against the Colorado Avalanche.
What to look for in the game tonight:
1) The Blue Jackets are the sixth best shot-blocking team in the NHL. Kris Russell led the way with 5 of the teams 24 blocked shots against the Montreal Canadiens Tuesday night. Even Nikita Filatov blocked a shot against the Canadiens which inspired the rest of his teammates. Look for the Jackets to continue to throw their body in front of pucks.
2) Derick Brassard has a five game point streak going with 4 goals and one assist. Brassard may finally be developing into the superstar everyone believed he was going to be.
3) Nikita Filatov has been promoted back to the second line where he started the season. It looks like Scott Arniel’s message was received well as Filatov proved on the fourth line that he was ready to work hard in order to be a top six forward. Filatov will look to continue his strong play and stay in the good books with Arniel.
4) The Blue Jackets will need to start strong and forecheck early in order to take advantage of the fact that the Atlanta Thrashers had to play last night. Look for the Jackets to put the game away early.
5) I strongly believe that Rick Nash will have a big game tonight. He broke out of his goalscoring slump Tuesday night as he scored his fourth goal of the season. I would even go as far as to predict a multiple goal game tonight for the All-Star leftwinger.
Go Jackets Go!
About the Author
Written by Jason Wagensveld