This is a nasty rivalry as SI cover states… no Christmas cards sent between teams here, and even though teams are separated by 3 games in standings, it’s a big game…
The Steelers shouldn’t have to make-up a fantasy threat out of Cincinnati’s recent history. Disregard that 2-5 record Marvin Lewis’ team is dragging around. He’s the reigning NFL Coach of the Year. The Bengals won all six of its AFC North games a year ago, and eight of the past nine. The Bungals are desperate as they try to erect the first three-game winning streak against the Steelers in 20 years.
Seems plenty enough to keep you focused for Pittsburgh.
“This is a make-or-break game in their season and we’re only 1-1 in our division. We need to really play well if we’re going to go in there and get a victory”, Steelers TE Health Millers explains. Vanilla comments but AGREE Heath, boom… Must game, must be prepared, must win it Steeler way!
Steeler keys to domination
- Get the run game going again…. They averaged 150 yards per game through their first three, all victories. They have averaged 92.8 yards per game in their past four, in which they’ve gone 2-2. Bengals give up 120 yards per game on the ground and seem SOFT to me on the defensive line. Run early and late to set up pass.
- Ben and his receivers must get on same page on hot read routes.. They all need to understand what coverage is being shown and adjust.. It should be better now for more practice time w/ Ben.
- Cornerbacks be ready.. Bengals receivers can be dangerous (85 and TO) and I’d rather not see any TO “I love me some me” stuff… McFadden and Troy should be prepared for underneath stuff from TO before he goes deep later in game. Fustrate 85 and TO early and they put themselves first over team.
- Predicting a big special teams play here… dare I say “gadget play” again to my loyal blog followers… Cincy is 30th in league is kick coverage.. How bout some trickery here? The Bungals aren’t smart enough this year to stop it.
- Turn on ESPN upstairs– Holy Toledo again! The Steelers coaching staff did not have the NBC game feed on last Sunday and missed the chance to challenge the Mendenhall touchdown I blogged about… They had the home team video feed which won’t show conversational calls for home team. UNEXCUSABLE level 29! Every tv station in coaching booth should have ESPN on or else Monday night. FYI – I like Gruden anyway on the telecast, so maybe coaching staff can pick up a pointer or two.
Steelers should be able to dominate both lines of scrimmage and that should be the top difference maker… Coming off our worst game of the year, and even though I was critical of the coaching staff, losses make everyone more humble and I do believe Tomlin will have their attention this week and we will be better prepared. This will be payback to Cincinnati for their flukes last year.. Late pick six coming from Palmer, maybe two of them.
Steelers 34 Bungals 17
PS: I have a top 4 friend who is a Bungals fan, he goes by the name Struggle. Enough said…
About the Author
Written by Chris Palisin
My Bachelor's Degree is in Kinesiology from Penn State, and I have been involved in fitness, athletics, sports, and coaching all my life. Recently, I discovered a new passion in life, covering and writing about sports. I am confident I can offer an unique and interesting take on sports with my experience, particularly the NFL and for Steeler Nation this year. My hope is you enjoy and respect my opinion.... Enjoy the journey!