- Pro Sports Blogging - http://www.prosportsblogging.com -
Knicks Weekend – The Sixers Loss Has Got To Be Concerning.
Posted By Jordan Lauterbach On Nov 8 2010 @ 1:51 pm In New York Knicks | No Comments
Usually we go game by game in this space, but today we’re doubling up on the recaps. The Knicks split two winnable games this weekend….here are some quick thoughts
1. The Sixers game has got to be concerning – At home, 1 – 5 opponent, star player on the bench, early tip off. These are the kind of games the Knicks have to win if they want to make the playoffs. One of the fantastic things about playing in the East is that there are a lot of bad teams. The Sixers are one of those teams. To come out flat and have a Doug Collins team outplay you in the fourth quarter in unacceptable. On Kids Day no less! To a team coached by Doug Collins. Ah, so many reasons why yesterday was upsetting.
2. Amar’e must play better late in games – The Knicks may be able to win games in which Stoudemire isn’t the main scoring threat, but they aren’t going to win games where he is a liability late. Yesterday, Stoudemire committed a costly turnover and missed free throws in the final two minutes. It’s going to be a rare game when the Knicks can overcome this kind of focus breach from their star player in the final moments.
3. Timofey Mozgov has looked a lot better in the last two games – Maybe it’s a simple case of health, but Mozgov has showed some of the things he showed in pre season in the last two games. He’s hitting mid range shots and he’s driving to the hoop with effectiveness. Early in yesterday’s game, he was even crashing the boards. When was the last time you could say that about a Knick center? His minutes and stat production has gone up, but I think his confidence level on the floor is the biggest thing you take away from the weekend.
4. Can this team win a close game? – Besides opening night, when they almost blew a 16 point lead, this team doesn’t have a win where the margin of victory is under eight points. Even that stat is a little misleading. The eight point victory came on Thursday night in Chicago where the Knicks dominated for most of the first half. The 76ers game and the Blazers game (both at home, by the way) saw the Knicks blow it late. It still remains to be seen whether or not they can win a game that’s tied 95 – 95 with two minutes to play…
5. Gilbert and his shenanigans – By far, my favorite moment of the weekend came in the opening segment of Friday night’s Knicks/Wizards game. When alluding to Gilbert Arenas’ suspension for bringing a loaded gun into the locker room last season, Walt Clyde Frazier referred to it as “shenanigans.” Shenanigans? Uh, no. Shenanigans are what you and your friends do at summer camp, not when you challenge a teammate to a duel over gambling debts…. Gotta love Walt Clyde.
About the Author
Article printed from Pro Sports Blogging: http://www.prosportsblogging.com
URL to article: http://www.prosportsblogging.com/2010/11/08/knicks-weekend-the-sixers-loss-has-got-to-be-concerning/
URLs in this post:
 Subscribe to author's RSS feed: http://www.prosportsblogging.com/author/jordanlauterbach/feed/
Copyright © ProSportsBlogging.com. All rights reserved.