The Steelers ran out to a comfortable lead against the Cincinnati Bengals Monday night and this time they held onto it (unlike last year)… Barely!!! Steelers win 27-21 on a defensive stop on 4th down, as the Bengals were 12 yards from taking the lead with only seconds left.
The victory lifted the Steelers’ record to 6-2 and back into a first-place tie in the AFC North with the Ravens.
“We won. I don’t care how close the game was. We won, we won the game. We had to stand up on defense and that’s what we did.”– CB Ike Taylor, who had two pass interference penalties but broke up the final Bungal pass at the Steelers’ 2.
Ike is right, we won the game and that’s the main goal… But we got much to work on to be elite… The Steelers should have been running the clock in the 4thbut instead some ill-advised throwing and penalties almost resulted in blowing a 20 point lead late. I have to admit I knew we had three timeouts left if the Bengals did score to take the lead with under 40 seconds left. Should have NEVER came down to this… Tomlin talked about “learning while you win” and I hope the Steelers listen this week.
- GADGET – Randle El’s 39-yard touchdown to Wallace, who caught five passes for 110 yards. Randle El took a hand-off from Ben, who threw a block, and then hit Wallace in the end zone. Please call me “blog master” till Sunday, as I predicted this and love it! Randle El has 157.5 passing rating for career – kaboom! Now teams have to scout for this…. Brilliant Tomlin and Arians! Making the Patriots work on stopping this next week is legend.
- Linebacker play was awesome – Lawrence Timmons was most active player on the field. He had an interception to set up a touchdown, two passes defense and made a tackle for a loss on third-and-2 that resulted in a missed field goal. James Farrior wasn’t far behind, making five tackles and had a sack. LaMarr Woodley was a beast collapsing the pocket.
- Chest bump to Bruce Arians for going for a score after the Bengals missed a 51-yard field goal with 45 seconds left in the half, which resulted in a fg. Why was Roethlisberger throwing with a 13-point lead, on three consecutive plays from the Bengals’ 45 that took 35 seconds? Run the clock!!!!
- We blocked a punt and recovered a fumble on special teams, but Reed’s 46 yard miss (chance to put us up 9) was awful.. After hitting 53 yarder, he again can’t put two big kicks together.. I can’t keep writing about this, but this is major concern in Steeler Nation. Playoff games are won or lost on kickers…
- Almost too many injuries to list…. Chris Kemoeatu (ankle) and C Maurkice Pouncey (right leg) in span of three plays in the second quarter and the loss of RT Max Starks (neck). Kieisel also was re-injured.. Pouncey came back in game… Our standards never change no matter who is in there so no excuses.
NEXT: vs. NEW ENGLAND, 5:20 P.M. SUNDAY – NBC: After three consecutive road games, the Steelers return home to face the Patriots — the third prime-time game in a row for the Steelers. HUGE game vs. hated Patriots…
PS: All business blog today – whattttt?
About the Author
Written by Chris Palisin
My Bachelor's Degree is in Kinesiology from Penn State, and I have been involved in fitness, athletics, sports, and coaching all my life. Recently, I discovered a new passion in life, covering and writing about sports. I am confident I can offer an unique and interesting take on sports with my experience, particularly the NFL and for Steeler Nation this year. My hope is you enjoy and respect my opinion.... Enjoy the journey!