On Monday evening, the Big Ten announced its annual awards and all-conference football teams. The conference recognized 11 players from the Iowa Hawkeyes 2010 team. Congratulations!
Coaches First Team: Wide receiver Derrell Johnson-Koulianos, defensive end Adrian Clayborn and defensive backs Shaun Prater and Tyler Sash
Coaches Second Team: Wide receiver Marvin McNutt, guard Julian Vandervelde, tackle Riley Reiff, tight end Allen Reisner, defensive lineman Karl Klug, linebacker Jeremiha Hunter and free safety Brett Greenwood
Media First Team: Clayborn, Prater and Sash
Media Second Team: Vandervelde, Reiff and Klug
Coaches: Defensive tackle Christian Ballard, defensive tackle Mike Daniels, running back Adam Robinson and punter Ryan Donahue
Media: Ballard, Daniels, Greenwood, Hunter, Micah Hyde, Johnson-Koulianos, McNutt, Reisner, Robinson and Donahue
A few comments:
- Defensive end Adrian Clayborn and defensive backs Tyler Sash and Shaun Prater received first team honors from both the coaches and the media.
- Will Sash enter the draft this year? He has said he doesn’t want to talk about it yet.
- The number of defensive selections was glaring compared to Iowa’s offensive picks. Is this reflective of Iowa’s current woes: the defense’s talent pool is much stronger than the offense? Does Iowa need to do some soul searching offensively in the offseason regarding their players and coaches?
- Once considered a top offensive player in the conference, Iowa quarterback Ricky Stanzi is nowhere to be found. His starpower has dimmed dramatically in the last month.
- Iowa’s honorable mentions include two players that will be returning next year. Let’s hope they return and their talent continues to grow (see Adam Robinson, and Michah Hyde).
- If Iowa were to put together their own honorable mention list of freshmen, I’d give a shout-out to kicker Mike Meyer, running back Marcus Coker and linebacker James Morris.
Here’s the list of all the winners.
About the Author
Written by Debbie Baratz