- Pro Sports Blogging - http://www.prosportsblogging.com -
Giants BATSMEN, Part Two
Posted By Joseph Davis On Dec 9 2010 @ 6:23 pm In San Francisco Giants | No Comments
- CSN Bay Area will be re-airing classic games from the 2010 Giants postseason run beginning tonight—with the hometown broadcasters! “Giants Orange October: The Authentic Edition” kicks off at 8pm PST with Game 1 of the NLDS, and culminates 12/24 with Game 5 of the World Series. Two NLCS games and two other World Series games will run in-between; click here  for dates and times.
- Sergio Romo, a very busy man these days, appeared on “Chronicle Live” Tuesday afternoon with Greg Papa. Asked about any hard feelings about being passed over in NLCS Game #6 for Tim Lincecum in the 8th, Romo only had praise for “one of the greatest pitchers in the game”. He went on to describe ex-batterymate Bengie Molina as a “gentleman.” Always bubbly in interviews, I almost did a double-take when Romo admitted to getting down on himself a bit during his brief slumps this past year.
- Romo and Andres Torres appeared at Valley Fair mall in San Jose this past Sunday morning, and were giving autographs to the first 200 fans. I thought 2.5 hours early was plenty of time to claim one. How wrong I was.
- Mychael Urban of KNBR (and CSN Bay Area) conducted two solid interviews with two of the game’s most candid, interesting personalities—current Giants’ 2B Freddy Sanchez  and erstwhile Giants’ 2B Kevin Frandsen  after the World Series. If you missed either of them, click their respective names to listen—they’re good.
- Jonathan Sanchez underwent “the scope” on his non-throwing shoulder this week and will be sidelined for about 8 weeks—an estimated March return to action.
- A few notes on Miguel Tejada—he is a career .297 hitter in 28 games at AT&T Park over his career, including .368 in 2010. He’s over .300 at three of the other four N.L. West venues, including a sweet .344 clip at Dodger Stadium with 5 homers in 96 official AB (I tried to research where he ranks among active leaders in that category, but…too time-consuming).
- The Rule 5 Draft came and went yesterday, with the only notable Giants loss being AAA lefty Joe Paterson (to Arizona). Picked in the 10th round back in 2007, Paterson had a fine 2010, spent mostly with Fresno. As far as gains…only in the minor-league phase, guys I’ve never heard of.
- “Panda” Sandoval is said to have lost 15 pounds so far this off-season, which is good. If the thought of resuming the grind of travel by cramped bus to games attended by a whopping 1,200 people didn’t get young Pablo motivated to slim down, nothing would. GM Sabes’ theory: Panda lays off the junk food, and he’ll consequently lay off the bad pitches and flourish. We’ll monitor this closely.
- Sports Illustrated is offering a MLB Championship Package; with a 1-year subscription (approx. $90), you can get the Giants’ commemorative World Series DVD or Blu-Ray, a hardcover commemorative 2010 Giants book, and a licensed World Series Championship baseball. It would make an incredible gift for a loved one—or for me, if you lack loved ones. Click here  for order page.
- It was reported that Eugenio Velez, who according to Sabean stood little chance of making the team in 2011, was non-tendered for space on the 40-man roster. Well, as of today the roster stands at 38 (including Pat “The Bat” Burrell, thankfully!), and while out of options, Velez was not arbitration-eligible and certainly not going to get a raise even if he were—not after batting under .164 in 2010. Velez has his shortcomings and his detractors, but he’s talented, young and versatile—maybe a little flashy for an unproven but without any serious attitude problems according to my sources. While it was more than a tad stunning to see him booted from the 40-man roster—to me and to seasoned pro writers as well—I’m willing to operate under the assumption that Sabean knows more about the Giants and their personnel than I do…just this once.
- A quiet Giant birthday week: Felix Rodriguez turned 38 on 12/5, Steve Bedrosian turned 53 in 12/6, Fred Lewis hits the big 3-0 today 12/9, and Doug Henry blows out 47 candles on 12/11. JD
About the Author
Article printed from Pro Sports Blogging: http://www.prosportsblogging.com
URL to article: http://www.prosportsblogging.com/2010/12/09/giants-batsmen-part-two/
URLs in this post:
 here: http://www.csnbayarea.com/12/07/10/Get-set-to-relive-the-Giants-Orange-Octo/landing.html?blockID=368604&feedID=2796
 Freddy Sanchez: http://www.knbr.com/portals/3/podcasts/sportsphone/1109%20-%20FREDDY%20SANCHEZ.mp3
 Kevin Frandsen: http://www.knbr.com/portals/3/podcasts/sportsphone/1109%20-%20KEVIN%20FRANDSEN.mp3
 here: https://subs.timeinc.net/SI/sichamps_mlb1110.jhtml?experience_id=306408&source_id=2&_requestid=209160
 Subscribe to author's RSS feed: http://www.prosportsblogging.com/author/josephdavis/feed/
Click here to print.
Copyright © ProSportsBlogging.com. All rights reserved.