Super Bowl XLV is over and the Green Bay Packers are World Champions. They beat the 6 time Super Bowl Champions Pittsburgh Steelers 31-25 and prevented Ben Roethlisberger from getting his 3rd Super Bowl ring…..and I couldn’t have been happier. I was a little off with my predicted score of 35-21 for the Packers but I was dead on with Aaron Rodgers winning MVP. He finished the day 24/39 for 304 yard and 3 touchdowns. He could have had a couple more if it weren’t for Jordy Nelson and James Jones dropping a couple of passes. The game would have certainly been less entertaining if the score would have gotten out of hand, however I would have loved to see Pittsburgh get blown out. Rodgers has certainly moved out Brett Favre’s shadow and finally can wear that champion belt he’s been showing off the last few weeks.
It’s not that I have a “New York Jets” or even “New England Patriots” hate on for the Steelers, but with everything that happened with Roethlisberger during the off-season and how the league and team dealt with the situation just doesn’t sit well with me. I feel more should have been done and perhaps a little more remorse from Big Ben could have changed my mind about the Steelers.
Back to the game… it may have lacked the big play or the amazing finish but it certainly wasn’t a bore. The only play that really stands out from the game was the 37 yd. interception return from Nick Collins that put Green Bay up 14 and it seems that it was too much of a hole for Pittsburgh to climb out of.
I hope the owners and players can resolve their differences and get a new CBA because Super Bowl XLV may be the last one for a couple years. I don’t see why they can’t get things settled; they have 7 months to figure it out. Get in a room, start talking, and get a new CBA done so fans don’t have to worry what to do come September.
We had a great party, a great turnout and thanks to my wife making great food and putting up with 8 hours of pre-game. If the season is locked-out next year it could heal some very deep wounds for Bills fans, we’ll be able to put this last season far back in our memories and get excited on what the future will be for Buffalo.
Final Super Bowl Notes:
- Didn’t watch any commercials, didn’t get any in Canada. I never really understand the hype for these commercials, they are never that good, and the babies talking thing was funny in 1989 when “Look Who’s Talking” came out but has lost some of its zing.
- Half time show was once again brutal. Not sure what they should do with this disaster but it hasn’t been good since Super Bowl 27 when Michael Jackson performed. Also the Bills were in that Super Bowl…can’t go wrong! Super Bowl XXVII Half Time Spectacular
- Dear Shaun Suisham, best field goal attempt ever. Looked like the Wendy’s Million Dollar CFL Field Goal challenge. Shaun Suisham awesome field goal attempt
- CTV covered the game last night and decided to cut to Sportscenter instead of playing any post game, and since I don’t get FOX I didn’t get to see anyone thanking God for their talents. Thanks CTV for ruining the Super Bowl. And by the way you did a terrible job with the Olympics.
- Congrats to Eric Greene for winning my annual Super Bowl pool. He ended up with 5 correct answers. But have to give props to Kutty for predicting a 31-24 final score for Green Bay.
About the Author
Written by Norm Duhamel