Brandon Wood should get his opportunity to show what he has to offer sometime this week.
Tomorrow would be ideal. I don’t know if we will actually see him, but I think it would be perfect.
- The game isn’t televised in the Pittsburgh market because the Penguins will be playing. This might relieve a little bit of the pressure that may be on the 26-year old.
- He will be facing a left-hander which should help a little.
- John Lannan won’t overpower hitters.
- Cedeno couldn’t do much more. He is batting just 1.97; Wood is batting .168 in his career.
- It’s not like this Pirates team is contending. If it is all about the future then why not? Is Cedeno part of the future plans? Wood could be if he could ever do anything with the bat.
- If they thought highly of this kid (which they must have) then why not give him some at-bats? Preferably every day at-bats.
- Cedeno couldn’t do much more. Oops, already said that one.
I understand the whopping strikeout numbers, low walk rate and lack of production at the major league level, but he has to be given the opportunity to get at-bats consistently.
If the Pirates don’t allow him to get at-bats then why even bother picking him up in the first place?
About the Author
Written by Justin Welton
Born in Franklin, PA. Life-long Pittsburgh sports fan + Boston Celtics. Attending Clarion University of Pennsylvania. Working for WCUC - 91.7 and WCUB-TV. Clarion Call writer for two years.