The Atlanta Falcons didn’t look like contenders on Sunday.
Their defense looked bad and their offense looked even worse.
Defensively, Jay Cutler and his Bears found many open holes in the Falcons zone defense. Although the Falcons defense looked good at first, the short fields that the Bears were given led to easy points for Cutler’s offense. Thomas Decoud dropped two easy interceptions which could have made this a very different game. Cutler passed for 312 yards on 22 completions, although 56 of those yards came on a Matt Forte screen play. Sean WeatherSpoon led the Falcons with 10 tackles, but his missed tackle on the Forte catch led to the Bears touchdown. The highlight of the Falcons defense was a interception return for a touchdown from DE Kroy Biermann, and that turned out to be the lone touchdown for the Falcons today. The defense piled together five sacks. Special teams was shut down
Offensively, the Falcons offensive line gets half of the blame, while the Bears Defense gets the other half of the blame. Matt Ryan was sacked 5 times, and he was rushed many more times. He could not maintain his rhythm that he found in the first quarter when he completed almost each of his passes. Ryan did pass for 319 yards while going 33 of 47, however. Michael Turner rushed for 100 yards on 10 carries. Tony Gonzalez led receivers with 72 yards and acclaimed rookie Julio Jones came in second with 71. Both had 5 receptions.
- In the first quarter, on 2 and 2, Matt Ryan rolls out looking for Tony Gonzalez but hits Bears LB Brian Urlacher right in the hands for an interception.
- Michael Turner fumbles after the Forte touchdown and turns the ball over back to the Bears.
- Matt Ryan fumbles at the Falcons’ 12-yard line and Brian Urlacher runs the ball in for a touchdown.
- In the 3rd quarter, Jay Cutler finds Devin Hester on 1st and 10 for a 53 yard play which led to a Bears touchdown on the next play.
- In the fourth quarter, John Abraham blocks a Cutler pass and Kroy Biermann takes it to the endzone in an interception return for a touchdown.
About the Author
Written by Josh Brown
I'm a 20 year old college student from Atlanta, GA who loves sports. Blogger for the Atlanta Falcons.