- Pro Sports Blogging - http://www.prosportsblogging.com -
Jackets let home opener slip away
Posted By Dennis Patchett On Oct 7 2011 @ 10:26 pm In Columbus Blue Jackets,NHL | No Comments
The Columbus Blue Jackets fell 3-2, to the Nashville Predators, in the CBJ’s season and home opener.
After a scoreless first period, Nashville took the lead, as Ryan Suter scored a power-play goal. Sergei Kostitsyn slipped a pass through the crease to Suter, who made no mistake with his shot.
The jacket tied the game 1-1, nine minutes later, as the #1 line played the counter-attack to perfection. Rick Nash streaked down the off wing, dropped a pass to Jeff Carter, who’s quick shot started to get through Pekka Rinne…but Vinny Prospal jammed home the rebound.
It didn’t take Nashville long to regain the lead (46 seconds), as Craig Smith tapped in a rebound, as the puck laid loose next to a sprawling Steve Mason.
Thirty nine seconds into the third period, Fedor Tyutin turned the puck over to Cam O’Reilly who quickly found Matt Halischuk standing right in front of Mason. He shoveled home a backhander, as the crowed grew quiet. However, Nash scored with 10 minutes to go, to make it interesting.
Top 5 First Impressions -
1. Same defensive mistakes as years gone by. Methot chased the puck, just the the left of goaltender Steve Mason, while on the penalty kill. Fedor Tyutin turned over the puck, with little pressure, on the third goal.
2. The power-play was 0-5. The CBJ lacked control, spacing and composure.
3. The Rick Nash, Jeff Carter, Vinny Prospal line was excellent. However, they were about the only line to consistently apply offensive pressure to Pekka Rinne. Coach Scott Arniel tried to ride the Jacket’s number one line, too much. He didn’t show confidence in any other lines. Each player had a two point night.
4. Jeff Carter is really good a face-offs! 77% tonight!
5. We witnessed the future of NHL Goaltenders… Mason 6’4” and Rinne 6’5” are huge, athletic goalies. Shots on goal ended CBJ – 34, NSH – 31. Both played well.
About the Author
Article printed from Pro Sports Blogging: http://www.prosportsblogging.com
URL to article: http://www.prosportsblogging.com/2011/10/07/jackets-let-home-opener-slip-away/
URLs in this post:
 Subscribe to author's RSS feed: http://www.prosportsblogging.com/author/hockey11/feed/
Copyright © ProSportsBlogging.com. All rights reserved.