Well, it’s a 0-3 start for the Columbus Blue Jackets. High hopes that the off-season upgrades haven’t paid off, yet. The Jackets lost to the Vancouver Canucks, 3-2 last night.
Don’t get too disappointed, Jackets fans, this losing streak won’t last long. The jackets are just a Power Play away from winning at least two of their opening games. The loss of defenseman James Wisniewski has been the biggest factor for poor performance, on the power-play. Grant Clitsome has a nice one-timer, but his shot lacks bake and sizzle.
My list of the top 5 needs for the CBJ to turn this around:
5. Choppy, choppy… FIX THE HOME ICE! I’m done watching the puck bounce all over the place! Come on Columbus…
4. Lack of chemistry, on the 2nd – 4th line, won’t last forever. Umberger? Vermette? I’d like to see the fourth line get more minutes. Sad – there is a ton of talent (offense talent) on that line. Cam Atkinson scored his first career NHL goal – and this group forced the play the entire night.
3. CREATE chances. Seems to me, that when the Jackets enter the zone, they keep chipping pucks. I watched Vancouver HOLD the puck in the offensive zone…to allow players to move into either open, or dangerous areas of the ice…
2. All the guys who got long term deals need to play like they still need to sign a contract!
1. Power-play – All the games have been close – just need a power-play. 0-16 on the power-play won’t win PeeWee games, let alone NHL games.
About the Author
Written by Dennis Patchett
Huge NHL and soccer fan! Love Columbus, Ohio sports! Buckeyes, Crew, Blue Jackets! Also, the Washington Capitals are my new adopted NHL team!