The Donovan McNabb era in Minnesota has been over for several weeks. On Thursday, the Vikings made it official when they placed their opening day starter on waivers. McNabb stated that he asked for this and Minnesota granted his wish. Donovan is hoping that he can catch on with one of the teams that desperately need help at the QB position and is also contending for the playoffs. No question, the Chicago Bears are at the top of that list.
There are several questions that pop-up when considering this scenario. Will the Bears pursue Donovan? Is Dallas going to put in a claim just to keep Chicago from picking up a veteran QB, like they did with Kyle Orton last week? Can this guy still play? The last question is the most important. If you were to ask most of the fans in Minnesota, they would probably tell you that he is done. I have heard people in the media on both sides of the McNabb fence, and while Donovan is a great guy/teammate, his game just looked really off to me while he was a Viking. I wasn’t excited about bringing him in and I suspect that most of the fans in purple aren’t very depressed about him leaving. Fans in Minnesota were never attached to this guy the way the were to Favre. The history isn’t the same. And while nobody in the Twin Cities is going to become a Bears fan, they probably won’t wish any ill will on Donovan either. The guy has been nothing but a class act throughout his career.
Now the Vikings get to turn their attention to the latest NFL sensation, Tim Tebow. The Denver Broncos are coming to town on Sunday in a game that features both similarities and differences. Both Denver and Minnesota started the season 1-4. The Vikings turned the steering wheel over to their rookie QB, Christian Ponder. He has shown promise, and while he has looked better than expected, the Vikes are 1-5 with him at the controls. The Broncos put 2nd year QB Tim Tebow under center after their rough start. For 75% of the snaps, he has looked awkward, to say the least, but for the other 25% of the plays he has been displaying some Christian/voodoo/weird kind of magic. Denver has won some games that seemed long-gone. They are 5-1 with the former Gator QB.
This is a game that the Vikings should be able to win. It is more important for the defense to control Tebow than it is for the offense to thrive with Ponder. Minnesota needs to win the turnover battle. Denver has not been turning the ball over at all. Tebow only has one interception in six games. If you watch both of these teams play, you would say that the Vikings look more explosive, but they are also more mistake prone.
Normally Adrian Peterson would be the biggest factor in a Minnesota victory, however, AP is listed as questionable. With the Vikings sitting at 2-9, they are not going to risk further injury to the franchise. No, the Vikings defense and Christian Ponder will probably decide this game. Will Minnesota prevail? I’m not going to even try to predict that this week.
About the Author
Written by Sean Eckhardt
Univ of Alabama alumni. Born and raised outside Chicago, IL. Currently live in Florida. Some of my favorite teams include the Chicago Cubs, Minnesota Vikings, Miami Heat, and the Florida Panthers. My interests outside of sports include music, outdoor activities, and anything with a motor(cars, bikes, boats, etc...).