The Bruins were desperate for a win going into Tuesday night. They had lost two one goal games over the weekend and were looking to rebound. The Bruins came up big against the divisional rival leafs with 2 goals from Tyler Seguin, 2 goals from Jordan Caron, and another goal by Chris Kelly. However, Tim Thomas gave up four goals which made the Bruins sweat it out right towards the end. I think the Bruins did a lot well, but also made some critical mistakes. Let’s start with the positives:
- The Bruins played with an edge- The Bruins seemed to grind this one out, whether it was through fights, hits, or just a hard forecheck they played with intensity. Even their dangler David Krejci got into the hitting. One player who I was really impressed with was Lane MacDermid. MacDermid might not be the most skilled forward but he hit everything in sight and helps the Bruins maintain their physical identity, and for a call up from providence he has added a lot to this team in his first couple games.
- OFFENSE!!!!!!!- Yes the Bruins actually can score goals. Tyler Seguin had a good night , but the most important player of the game was Jordan Caron. He represented everything the Bruins need right now, a responsible, hard working forward who can grind it out along the boards and get to the front of the net and score. The Bruins organization had liked Caron since he debuted last year. If he can start playing the game he is capable of then he can be a very important secondary scorer,something that they desperately need right now.
- Also off the ice the Bruins have signed Marty Turco to fill Rask’s role for the rest of the regular season. Turco may give Thomas some rest going down the stretch before the playoffs. However, Turco is not eligible for the playoffs since he was signed after the trade deadline, this means either Rask will be healthy for the playoffs or Khudobin(the goalie for Providence) will be called up.
Now some negatives:
- Defensive Lapses- Although I think the Bruins defense played better than in previous games, they still need to improve. Greg Zanon had some nice plays but also found himself in the wrong place on the ice at times. The Bruins defensemen also need to realize that they are allowed to skate. Lately, I see a lot of plays in which the defensemen seem to just swipe the puck up the boards and hope for the best. They need to start moving the puck up the ice before they make a pass, instead of sweeping it around the boards behind their own goal.
- Tim Thomas-I thought Tim Thomas was atrocious last night, he constantly mishandled the puck, couldn’t control a rebound and he gave up soft goals. I don’t know what has happened to Tim Thomas but as a Bruins fan I pray that he finds a way to get back on track after his month long slump.
The Bruins look to win back to back games for the first time in two months on Thursday night against the Buffalo Sabres. They have struggled against this team as of late and look to turn around their play and go into the playoffs playing good hockey.
About the Author
Written by Patrick Regan
Lives in Cumberland, RI. I Love the Pats and the Bruins.