Interception, Interception, Punt ( returned 68 yards for a touchdown), that’s the Bills first 3 possessions in their 48-28 loss against the New York Jets. Not the start I anticipated. Things looked great though when Bryan Scott intercepted Mark Sanchez on the 7th play of the game but with Ryan Fitzpatrick underachieving in the first half, Buffalo was not able to capitalize and was down by 21pts before you knew it. Although the Bills were able to cut their deficit to 13 late in the fourth, the mistakes were just too many and are now quickly down 0-1 in the division. Luckily next week they play the Kansas City Chiefs in the home opener, whom they beat last year 41-7.
What does 100 million dollars get you?
Apparently it gets you 1 tackle. Mario Williams and Buffalo’s big front four on D were, in the words of Evelyn Lozada, a non mother***** factor and frankly they were a huge disappointment all day. 118 on the ground, 266 in the air and no sacks, this Buffalo defense looked exactly like the one that was giving up 37o yards a game last year. Williams was very critical with replacement refs claiming that Jets
right tackle Austin Howard for hands in the face, Marion stated “You tell somebody from the very beginning of the game,” referring to referee Robert Frazer. “And it happens. One time, that’s on me. But when it’s multiple times and I tell you and you honestly act like you don’t even hear me throughout the whole game, I think that’s a real big problem.” Personally I don’t want to hear excuses, I just want to see improvement and I believe we’ll see a better defense next week against the Chiefs.
Bad news is Fred Jackson injured his leg, good news is C.J. Spiller was able to step in and torched the Jets for 169 yards and 1 touchdown. We will find more about Fred Jackson’s injury on this week but until we know more, it will be Spiller in the back field and I’m on board with that.
It’s just one game.
Listening to Bills Game with Jeremy White on WGR 550 Sunday morning, White kept saying that this was a gage game, a way to see how the season might pan out. If we were to gage this game, we might think the Bills will be in tough all year, but I see it differently. If the Bills D would have been able to save Fitzpatrick from a couple of those interception, this game would have been closer than the score dictated. It’s just one game and they will play better, I say this because it will be hard to play any worse than they did against the Jets.
- No news yet on David Nelson’s injury, more this week.
- Was surprised we didn’t see rookie WR T.J Graham. I have a feeling we will next week.
- K John Potter didn’t have one kickoff result in a touchback. What happened to the big leg?
- Stevie Johnson had a good game and showed no signs of a sore groin.
- Great hit by Scott Chandler on Rex Ryan. Watch it here
- The whole Tim Tebow lining up as a wide receiver just doesn’t make sense to me.
- Great wings from Janeil. Thanks for bringing snacks!
- Thanks to my wonderful wife who woke up at 5:30 a.m with me to drive 6 1/2 hours after only 3 hours sleep to drive home and watch the game. I love you!
About the Author
Written by Norm Duhamel