Raise your hand if you believe the Jets offense is for real after posting 48 points against the Bills last week. Better yet, raise your hand if you feel that Mark Sanchez is going to duplicate his stellar performance on the road at Heinz Field. Yeah…my hands are still in my pockets, too.
Ten Fearless Predictions
1, Tim Tebow will be at QB for at least ten plays due to his success against Pittsburgh in the playoffs in January.
2. The Jets will not produce more than 300 yards of offense and won’t even approach 40 points for two reasons:
Pittsburgh’s defense is more of a “bend, but don’t break” than Buffalo’s approach, which is more geared to create pressure and hope the secondary can cover for long enough.
Pittsburgh can possess the ball on long, sustained drives to keep the Jets offense on the sidelines.
3. The crowd for the home opener will provide Pittsburgh much-needed energy and will play a part in creating a turnover with excessive crowd noise.
4. Jonathan Dwyer breaks off a big gain either as a ballcarrier or pass-catcher.
5. The Steelers will sack Jets QBs at least four times with LaMarr Woodley overwhelming RT Austin Howard on more than one occasion.
6. Mike Wallace beats Antonio Cromartie deep at least once.
7. If Darrelle Revis (mild concussion) plays, Antonio Brown will be a decoy in the playcalling scheme for Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders, and Heath Miller.
8. The Jets ground game rushes for less than 75 yards…even with Tebow.
9. Santonio Holmes will score a touchdown.
10. Pittsburgh’s playcalling is close to a 50/50 blend of pass and run.
Game Prediction: Steelers 27, New York Jets 17.
Please feel free to comment on my predictions…or better yet, make your own! I’d love to hear from you.
About the Author
Written by Rob Stroup
I grew up in western Pennsylvania, so I have followed the Pittsburgh sports teams (Steelers, Penguins, Pirates) since the womb. It has become a tradition to make the yearly trek to a Steelers and Penguins game each year despite the distance. I hope to make writing a profession because I thoroughly enjoy attempting to paint a picture with words.